Post by Slaman
With many years of frustration trying to find a complete timeline of events in the Warcraft universe, I finally decided to go out and gather as much knowledge on it as I could myself. While I don't agree with the unofficial compilation timeline on Wowpedia/Wowwiki, I believe most of the year spacing to be correct. The framework was gathered partially from these unofficial timelines, the old official timeline from the Blizzard website in 2007, and this timeline
based off of the births of Arthas Menethil and Anduin Wrynn made by Berenal of Moon Guard (US). For my own purposes, I've arrived at this timeline as a usable one for story purposes. This doesn't include all events, nor is it exact (although it is roughly correct, and at the very least, in the correct chronological order). I haven't found there to be any glaring holes or conundrums with this version, but I'd like to hear other people's feedback to see if I overlooked anything, and also to provide a usable version of a timeline for people to use.
Note: In addition to not really providing any details with what happened each year (other than names of books or games), I don't agree with the unofficial timeline mostly in the time that it claims passed between WoW expansions. Berenal explained it in his post:Anduin as a World of Warcraft Year guide:
Contrary to popular opinion, The Timeskip between WotLK and Cata was not five years or any large margin of years, rather several months. This is proven by using Anduin Wrynn as a guide.
Anduin is a lifesaver for keeping track of the years of WoW. Going by his age at the start of Vanilla, He was 10.
Eradicate the Burning Legion, a quest ended by Nazgrel in Outland, claims 5 years have passed since Hyjal, which backs up the claim of Vanilla only being 1 year and as such making Anduin 11 at the time.
The year is once again confirmed as 12 in WOTLK during the novel Stormrage when he is stated to not quite be 13 yet.
It is flatly stated as 13 in both The Shattering (Pg. 268) and Wolfheart (Page 638).
Anduin Lothar is born (Speculation - he was the oldest of Anduin, Llane, and Medivh and claimed to be "about Khadgar's age" when telling the story of their adventures in Stranglethorn Vale. At the time, Khadgar was about 17. Medivh went into a coma on his 14th birthday, so Medivh could have been no older than 13 during the stories. We know Medivh is 45 when he opens the Dark Portal).Year -49:
Llane Wrynn is born.Year -45:
Medivh is born (The Last Guardian).Year -31:
Medivh goes into a coma and kills his father Nielas Aran (TLG). Year -11:
Medivh wakes up and begins researching how to bring the orcs to Azeroth while assuring everyone he is fine (TLG).Year -7:
Varian Wrynn is born. (Speculation - he was a “few” years older than Arthas when he met him)Year -4:
Arthas is born. (Tides of Darkness)Year 0:
- Orcs invade Azeroth through the Dark Portal.
- Thrall is born and taken as a slave by Aedalas Blackmoore after the murder of Durotan and Draka.
Orcs declare war on humans. This is the commonly accepted as the beginning of the "First War".Year 3:
Khadgar becomes Medivh's apprentice at the age of 17.Year 4:
- Medivh is freed from Sargeras (killed) by Lothar, Khadgar, et al.
- Garona kills King Llane. After Doomhammer kills Blackhand and becomes Warchief, the First War ends with the fall of Stormwind Keep. Anduin Lothar flees the Kingdom of Azeroth with Prince Varian.
The Alliance is formed by humans, dwarves, and high elves.Year 6:
- The Second War begins in the later part of this year.
- Alterac is destroyed after Lord Perenolde's rebellion is discovered.
- Gul'dan dies at the Tomb of Sargeras.
The Second War ends late in year 6 or early in year 7 after the Assault on Blackrock Spire (where Sir Lothar fell) and subsequent finale at the Dark Portal. Year 8:
Beyond the Dark Portal takes place and Draenor is shattered. Khadgar, Turalyon, Alleria, Kurdran, Danath, and their forces are assumed lost on the other side. Ner'zhul becomes the Lich King.Year 10:
Gilneas began construction of the Greymane Wall and cuts ties with the Alliance.Year 15:
- Arthas turns 19 and he is inducted into the order of the Silver Hand.
- Anduin Wrynn is born.
Thrall escapes Durnholde Keep.Year 19:
Thrall liberates the orcs and becomes Warchief of the “New Horde.”Year 20:
- At the age of 24, Arthas takes up Frostmourne and becomes the champion of the Lich King. The Plague of Undeath begins to ravage Lordaeron as the Third War begins.
- The High Elves are decimated; Night Elves join the Alliance. The Tauren and Jungle Trolls join the Horde.
- Grom Hellscream kills Mannoroth, freeing the orcs from their demonic corruption.
- Archimonde's death at the Battle for Mount Hyjal ends the Third War.
- The events of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne take place and Arthas becomes one with Ner'zhul as the Lich King.
- Orgrimmar is founded in the newly settled land of Durotar.
- Sylvannas breaks free of the Lich King's grasp and forms the Forsaken, joining forces with the Horde.
King Varian Wrynn is abducted by the Defias Brotherhood. Anduin is 10 years old, and Bolvar Fordragon is made Regent Lord under him, as Anduin was made King by the insistence of Lady Prestor (Onyxia).Year 25:
- World of Warcraft begins.
- Edwin VanCleef is killed and the Defias Brotherhood crumbles.
- Fighting between the Horde and Alliance breaks out in Warsong Gulch, Alterac Valley, and Arathi Basin.
- The Blood God Hakkar is summoned and quickly defeated in the Gurubashi city of Zul'Gurub.
- Ragnaros is banished back to the Plane of Fire, ending his rule over the Dark Iron Dwarves.
- Nefarian's schemes are interrupted as he is defeated in the Assault on Blackwing Lair.
- The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj are re-opened and the silithid empire is destroyed, along with the Old God C'thun.
- Naxxramas appears over Stratholme and wreaks havoc on the area known as the Plaguelands before being subdued by the Argent Dawn.
- World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade begins.
- The Draenei crash on Azeroth after fleeing Tempest Keep then join the Alliance. The Blood Elves join the Horde.
- The Dark Portal is re-opened by Doom Lord Kazzak, and the forces of Azeroth find the survivors of the Alliance Expedition in Outland.
- Malygos re-emerges from his hiatus upon consuming the essence of the nether dragons from Outland. He subsequently declares war on all magic users, starting the Nexus War.
- Fighting between the Alliance and Horde is heavy in the Eye of the Storm.
- Kael'thas is defeated in Tempest Keep at about the same time Lady Vashj is killed.
- Illidan is killed by Akama, Maiev, and the Ashtongue Deathsworn.
- Zul'jin is killed in Zul'Aman.
- Kael'thas returns to Quel'Danas and tries to summon Kil'Jaeden to Azeroth before he is thwarted and killed by the Shattered Sun Offensive.
- King Varian returns to his throne after revealing Lady Prestor as Onyxia and defeating her. The Scourge invades Stormwind and Orgrimmar a short time later.
- Med'an becomes the new Guardian.
- World of Warcraft: The Wrath of the Lich King (War against the Lich King) begins.
- Malygos is defeated along with most of the Blue Dragonflight, ending the Nexus War.
- After the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate, King Varian and Thrall attack the Undercity to free it from Varimathras' treachery. Varian declares all out war on the Horde for allowing the Undead to commit such atrocities.
- Ulduar is discovered by Brann Bronzebeard. He enters with a task force to free the Watchers and vanquish the Old God Yogg-Saron. Algalon is also subdued, saving Azeroth from obliteration by the Titans.
- Heavy fighting begins at the Isle of Conquest between the Alliance and Horde.
- Arthas (as the Lich King) is defeated at the age of 31 or 32 by Tirion Fordring and the Ashen Verdict, then killed by the spirits trapped within Frostmourne. Bolvar Fordragon becomes the new Lich King, keeping all remaining undead in check.
- Gnomeregan and the Echo Isles are reclaimed for the gnomes and trolls, respectively.
- The Emerald Dream is cleansed of the Nightmare mostly through the efforts of Malfurion Stormrage.
- Deathwing emerges from Deepholme, causing the Cataclysm.
- Gilneas rejoins the Alliance after demonstrating their reasons for staying walled up. The Bilgewater Cartel goblins join the Horde.
- World of Warcraft: Cataclysm begins.
- Horde vs. Alliance conflict breaks out in Tol Barad, Gilneas, and the Twilight Highlands.
- After resurfacing under the leadership of Edwin VanCleef's daughter Vanessa and being bolstered by the large amount of people displaced during the war in Northrend, the Defias Brotherhood is vanquished once again.
- The Wildhammer Dwarves rejoin the Alliance and form the Council of the Three Hammers with the already established Bronzebeard Clan and the newly joined Dark Iron Dwarves. The Dragonmaw Orcs rejoin the Horde.
- Many major figures in league with Deathwing are killed such as Cho'gall (and subsequently the Twilight's Hammer cult), his kin (Onyxia, Nefarian, Sinestra, etc.), Archbishop Benedictus, the wind lord Al'Akir, and the fire lord Ragnaros.
- Late in the year (maybe at the beginning of the next), an army of all races under the command of Lord Afrasastrasz defends Wyrmrest Temple from Deathwing's attempt to bring on the Age of Twilight. Thrall kills Deathwing with the help of the Aspects and a detachment from the defense force, ushering in the Age of Mortals, as the Aspects are no longer immortal.
The Pandaren reveal their homeland to the rest of Azeroth after the defeat of Deathwing. (Assumed date).
Post by Slaman
Please read the explanation at the beginning of my post. That version doesn't specify exactly when important events occur, nor does it have a very solid explanation of the years passing during the time of the game. While I realize that's a Wiki and I could change it exactly how I like, I figured I'd check and see what people thought of this version before I go around messing with time in a highly referenced source.
Post by Slaman
I didn't include a lot of the books and some of the manga because I don't own many of them, so I can't directly comment on where they fit in. However, I did include events from the WoW comic, and support the fact that the Shaman manga (as confirmed by people who have it) directly says that it takes place in year 27. Considering these events were intended to happen just before the Shattering, it works in this version. As for your reference of "ten years from the end of the Battle of Hyjal to the start of Cataclysm" I'm assuming you're referencing Tyrus Blackhorn
's dialogue in If You're Not Against Us...
. Since Anduin's age and the direct quote from the Shaman manga seem more credible than a crazed demon trying to be freed from his prison, I'd like to say that Tyrus was just rounding up a bit (although in this case, it would have been 7+ years, so not much).
Also, when you say Wrynn was missing for a year, do you know where you might have seen that? I've had trouble tracking Varian's timeline, so I made a rough estimate as to when he was captured. That's why I put that entry before the start of World of Warcraft. It's possible he was captured in Year 24.
Post by Slaman
Reading through the entire Missing Diplomat quest line again, the only time-related mention I see is in this quest
, where it says the diplomat was "recently" sent to Theramore. In all actuality though, you're probably right that he was captured at least a few months before the start of WoW, since a good amount of time would have to pass before they'd crown Anduin as King in his place.
Post by Merkilan
I thought Anduin was about 17 in Cata, not some snot-nosed preteen, but a full blown teenager. You have end of first war and start of second as only 2 years apart, but the intro trailer blizz has says 6 years later. You're timeline off by a lot.http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter2