Post by Haiyu
Hey I was attempting to heal ToC today and a druid we ended up having to pug (my friends where helping me see what I could handle in my current gear) started lipping off about how my spec was wrong and being "you should have this and this and this" so I figure I'll ask people that are actually priests. I mostly do heroics and I just started healing in the 80 bracket. I hope to move on to raiding. I really like holy spec.
Post by OscarDivine
Let me review some of the skills you've taken that aren't traditionally taken by holy priests then I'll review some that you haven't taken that usually ARE taken by holy priests.
Talents you are using that most commonly are NOT taken for HOLY Priests:Inner Focus
- This is debatable, many still like it, so I'll leave it at that.Imp PWS
- As holy priests this isn't a significantly worth while spell as it doesn't become worth using unless you're also using Soul Warding
- While many of our casts are instant, the biggest bang for your buck spell is going to be PoH, which you WILL be casting a lot, but since you're not using serendipity
, I would guess that's a painful process for you at the moment. We'll get to that.Improved Healing
- If you're spamming Gheals so often that you can justify using this talent, then wonderful. That just means you're raid healing improperly by using Gheal. :-) Otherwise, it isn't worth your 3 talent points.
These are talents you most holy priests take that you currently are not:Surge of Light
- I cannot express just how wonderful this talent is. I believe we have a whole thread on it... comes out to a large amount of mana saved as well as a bunch of free instant cast heals. DEFINITELY worth your 2 points.Serendipity
- this one boggles my mind. Your Prayer of Healing spell can become your greatest asset as a holy priest during intense raid healing bouts. Proper use of Serendipity will allow you to pop off several times the number of PoH spells that you would otherwise be able to effectively cast without it. If you are using only unhasted PoH spells, or not even USING PoH spells to raid heal, I cannot imagine you're anywhere NEAR your potential as a raid healer.Empowered Renew
: Easily warrants having at LEAST one point because it allows you another opportunity to proc your Holy Concentration
from the initial spell hit.
It seems you're a heavy user of the shield, which, as stated previously, is not a raid healing talent unless you're also taking Soul Warding.Glyph of PoH
: there have been several mini-debates on this recently, but I think most of us believe that the HoT provided by this glyph is both weak and usually becomes either overheal or just isn't worth the glyph slot.
Instead, my two suggestions for glyphs would be:Glyph of Circle of Healing
- Literally increases your CoH spell effect by 20%, that's HUGE! one ADDITIONAL player caught in your CoH? GIGUNDOUS!Glyph of Guardian Spirit
- Yes, you might be a RAID healer, but if you're doing it right, you'll probably still be using this 3-4 times per raid fight at least, if not on the raid tanks then on another player who could REALLY use the healing, like another important healer in danger.Here is an example
of a core spec that has wiggle room and 6 additional points to place preferentially. Notice that at the top of the Holy tree, I've taken both Spell Warding
AND Divine Fury
, the top of this tree is highly customizable based on your needs or preferences. I would suggest Blessed Reslilience for 3% healing, 2 points into Body and Soul for utility, and one point into Empowered Healing, just for good measure (perhaps into Inner focus for you?). This is an example
of the tree fully filled in.
I'm sure there are other players with opinions. Please chime in!