Post by glued
I'm a fairly new drood (hit 70 less than 1 month), this is my main char, and i started playing wow on mid December, so im still kind a noob on a lot of stuff...
My guild is lacking feral tanks (well to be honest we are missing a lot more than that, but that is not the question here), so once i turn 70 i aimed at being a bear drood and started the long internet ride on learning all i could about it. Hi picked a lot on info on that journey and started to do a pre-raid gear list. Something to stick whit once i started to gear up. I think I'm almost there, I'm still missing 4 pieces from the gear i chose from internet browsing.
Here is a list of my current gear:
• Head - Stylin' Purple Hat
• Neck - Necklace of the Deep
• Shoulder - Gladiator's Dragonhide Spaulders
• Back - Thoriumweave Cloak
• Chest - Heavy Clefthoof Vest
• Bracers - Vindicator's Dragonhide Bracers
• Gloves - Verdant Gloves
• Belt - Vindicator's Dragonhide Belt
• Legs - Heavy Clefthoof Leggings
• Boots - Heavy Clefthoof Boots
• Ring 1 - Wind Trader's Band
• Ring 2 - Delicate Eternium Ring
• Trinket 1 - Regal Protectorate
• Trinket 2 - Badge of Tenacity
• Weapon - Earthwarden
• Idol - Idol of the Wild
Here is a list of my current equipped Gems:
• Neck - 2 x Solid Star of Elune
• Shoulder - 1 x Shifting Nightseye + 1 x Enduring Talasite
• Chest - 2 x Enduring Talasite + 1 x Solid Star of Elune
• Bracers - 1 x Shifting Nightseye
• Legs - 2 x Solid Star of Elune + 1 x Enduring Talasite
• Boots - 1 x Solid Star of Elune + 1 x Enduring Talasite
Here is a list of my current enchantments:
• Head - Heavy Knothide Armor kit
• Shoulder - Heavy Knothide Armor kit
• Back - Greater Agility
• Chest - Exceptional Stats
• Bracers - Fortitude
• Gloves - Superior Agility
• Legs - Nethercleft Leg Armor
• Boots - Fortitude
• Weapon - Major Agility
The 4 items i am aiming for and that i still miss are:
• Ring 1 - Iron Band of the Unbreakable - I'm planning to get my guildies up for a farming session soon.
• Ring 2 - Ring of Unyielding Force
• Idol - Idol of Terror
• Trinket 1 - I'm Still unsure about this slot
My curent stats while in bear and unbuffed are:
• Armor - 23188
• HP - 14444
• Dodge - 32,20%
• Defense - 406
• Resilience - 66
• Critical Hit chance - 28,06%
• Attack Power - 1387
• Speed - 2,50
• Hit rating - 6
• Expertise - 6
• If you think other stats are important please say so. So that i can post them.
Acording to Rawr (Beta 11) and http://be.imba.hu/
im already crit imune (actully im over the cap )
Now based on those i have some questions i want to ask u guys
1. Do you think i am ready to start tanking some heroic dungeons? If so, which ones?
The reason i'm asking this because i start to feel the need to get some badges so i can get my Ring 2 and idol Slots (45 badges total).
2. Are my gems ok?
I mean i read a lot of people saying to don't care about socket bonus and to go all the way with Solid Star of Elune to boost my HP.
But Dodge is needed too right?
I'm asking this cause the Heavy Clefthoof Set socket bonus gives Dodge and according to Rawr i get more dodge from equipping Shifting Nightseye instead of Enduring Talasite in all my items except for the leg slot (yes even loosing the socked bonus), by doing this i would get + armor and + crit hit chance from agility and still be crit imune overcaped. Rigth?
So what is the recommended Dodge %?
3. Acording to Rawr i need 12692 Armor to be caped. The question is Caped for what? Lvl 73 boss? And being so who are they? Heroic bosses? Raid Bosses? Who? So if someone would be so kind to direct me to some link were i could search more about who is who and what is the armor needed to be capped on them…
4. What should i choose for my trinket 1 slot. I saw a lot i liked:
a. Mark of Tyranny - Nice armor and dodge - i'm trying to get my guildies do come whit me and get this, i read some droods soloed it.. But as i never benn there i know ill be lost inside…
b. Darkmoon Card: Vengeance - No need to comment this would make my bear very very happy - bust it costs a lot I'm still trying to get some money to my epic flying form.
c. Argussian Compass - Nice one too, but it's a heroic drop…. So read 1st question…
d. Adamantine Figurine - I run Shadow Labyrinth so many times trying to get my first Kara fragment that it feels awkward to go there again… besides according to rawr it's not that much better than the current one i have equipped (So that you understand this feeling better .. I would definitely prefer to run SteamVaults again rather then venture in a Shadow Labyrinth farming session) .
e. I found a lot more nice trinkets, but they are either from a profession (i'm herbalist and skinning since day one) or from somewhere i can't even dream about going there.
What would u choose?
Any suggestions besides this one would be greatly appreciated.
5. Is it a big mistake to ignore strength from the Heavy Clefthoof Set bonus (from leatherworking)?
Should i be a LW so that i gain that bonus?
I know + strength = + Attack power = + agro.
Is there some kind of recommended value on strength, hit rating, crit hit, AP ?
I found a lot of numbers for cat, but for bear i couldn't find a solid guide for this.
So what do u guys think/ know about this?
6. Would u change anything in my current gear + enchantments? If so what?
Remember this is the best i could find without going to heroics
I want to tank u all for reading, and thank in advance the ones that could help my by answering some of my questions.
I apologize for any written or grammar mistakes i could have done in this topic. Since English is not my 1st language.
Post by pelf
- Yes. With that health, dodge and armor level plus crit immunity, you'll be just fine. You've definitely done your homework. Barring some certain encounters in various heroics, I think that if you die it's going to be the fault of your healer. That said, it will obviously be easier for a somewhat stronger healer to keep you up now while you don't completely out-gear the instances.
As you're gaining comfort with the new difficulty level, it will obviously be very beneficial to you if you don't have to tank more than one mob at a time if you can help it. I would try to join or form groups that have a good amount of CC. Later on, you'll be looking for groups that have no CC because if you don't have 4 mobs on you, you won't have any rage :).
- I use Hit/Agility, Agility/Stamina and Stamina gems. I feel that avoidance and Stamina mitigation are sort of on a sliding scale. Having 19k health and 25% dodge is somewhat equivalent to having 16k health and 40% dodge. I personally tend to gem more for Agility because of the multiple benefits that we get from it. It gives me more threat, more avoidance and more mitigation -- in the form of crit, dodge and armor respectively.
The recommended dodge amount? As I said, it's sort of on a sliding scale with health. Druid tanking gear will just, by sheer itemization, give you the amount of dodge you need in most cases. On top of that, you can either augment your health or your avoidance or both. I tend to pick both.
- The cap for physical damage mitigation through armor is 35880 armor -- 75% mitigation -- against level 73 opponents. From what you've written, it looks like it was referring to this amount. Raid bosses are considered to be level 73. Heroic bosses are generally level 72. ( http://www.wowwiki.com/Armor )
- Believe it or not, I used this trinket for a long time: Charm of Alacrity. It's a good addition to the badge of tenacity for the purposes of an oh-^&*! button. If you're actually looking for stats on a trinket, the Mark of Tyranny is certainly a reasonable option as it will boost your avoidance and mitigation. The Compass is also a very nice option which I got a lot of mileage out of (see my answer to ). The Commander's Badge, once you have finished buying your 300 riding skill and worked your way through the Netherwing reputation grind, offers a lot of stamina -- that one is also a good option.
- The Strength from the Clefthoof set is not worth changing professions for. The Agility that you gain from gems and your growing tanking set combined with the stats on the weapons you will inevitably acquire will generally provide you with acceptable additional threat from damage. Druids on a whole don't generally have a lot of trouble with threat, so it's not something I would worry too much about. When I started tanking Heroics, I think I had somewhere around 1000-1200 attack power in Bear ... maybe 20-30% crit? I'm not really even sure. It doesn't really matter that much.
One thing you should consider, however, is Hit rating. Make sure you have at least some hit rating. Even as little as 30 is going to be a huge difference in threat generation over 0.
Nnoutaja's comment on the Cenarion head enchant is spot on. The hit rating and AP are going to go directly to boosting your threat generation. I still use this enchant and I couldn't agree more.
- The Necklace of the Juggernaut is also a badge reward, just like the Ring of Unyielding Force, which you also have listed. I still use this neck.
- I ran Mechanar so many times getting that Thoriumweave Cloak and then promptly replaced it with Slikk's Cloak of Placation in 2.3. This is one of the best tanking cloaks in the game -- even as far forward as Black Temple.
- Also, from Nnoutaja -- the starting ring from Violet Eye reputation ( Violet Signet ) is pretty easy to get -- you'll have enough reputation to get the first one the first time you go through even the first part of Karazhan. The fully-upgraded version Violet Signet of the Great Protector is one of the two best Druid tanking rings in the game.
I think you've got a fine head on your shoulders as far as this stuff goes. Even if you hadn't asked anything, I think you would've been going down the right path in the right direction. It's amazing how much one can learn by just reading up on things around the internet. Hopefully my answers were helpful :).
Also, if English is your second language, it makes me feel a bit more stupid -- the only language I can come close to speaking coherently, outside of English, is French. There's no way I would've been able to write this whole post in French. You're doing just fine.EDIT:
I figured I would give you some links to my gear so you could see my enchants and gems and whatnot.
This is my Druid in DPS gear: http://gorefiend-us.warcrafter.net/Shibumi
This is my Druid in tank gear: http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/40705
I had to click out the gems and enchants manually for the tank gear since I didn't log out in it so I might've misclicked something. For the DPS gear, you can click the word Buffs below the item list on the left and turn on Cat Form, MotW and LotP if you want.