Post by Dunsinane
"Reckoning SoC spec... "Fun Spec BG" Not Arena lol"
My error - I probably had part of the screen blocked out when I glanced up at the top of my browser.
No, it's not about any Reckoning / SoC spec at all, goodness no.
Nope. It isn't. The map is not the terrain, the recipe is not the cake batter, and the topic title is not the post. One of his builds doesn't even include Reckoning or
Seal of Command, so I think it's safe to say that the title does not reflect the post completely accurately. Welcome to the internet.
Any "Need Retribution Help" isn't about a Ret spec, no, it's all about an OP's suboptimal spec. Not about providing an optimal Retribution spec.
So, tell me... Where does the OP ask for help with his specs? Answer: he doesn't. He's proposing specs for PvP "for fun", not asking for them to be optimized. He's even posted in the thread that they're not "serious" and offered a link to another PvP thread.
Heaven forbid that we consider whether a Prot-Sheathadin is better than a Holy-Sheathadin or not, if the OP only gave us one or the other. After all, taking your attitude, sheathadins still stink for all purposes, irrespective of how they're built.Edit: removed comment - WAY too snippy
From the beginning:
- OP proposes 0/27/44 for PvP - A typical Reckadin build - along with a muddled Prot build that doesn't really do much of anything and is duly ignored
- You suggest a Prot PvP build in its place
- I point out that Reckadin is a bad PvP build (and PvE, for that matter)
- You suggest that Reckadin might be better than I think and attempt to compare Reckadin with cookie cutter Ret PvP, using 1H+shield. This is implied because you compare the value of Divine Storm to Reckoning
- I point out the obvious flaw - both Reckadin and Ret PvP, which you are comparing, will do dramatically worse without a 2H. The calculation is worthless because the underlying assumption is flawed
- At this point, you veer off the tracks and attempt to hold me to task for some slight. Yes, you did indeed propose a Prot spec, but your test was for a Ret spec and therefore the calculation you performed remains 100% worthless. You then create the term "Prot-Reckadin" out of whole cloth and imply that it is a subset of Reckadin, and thus when I criticized the Reckadin build I was criticizing that build as well.
- I point out what a Reckadin actually is. I give a very brief history of the build and why it has that name. The definition does not include deep Prot builds. Note: even if my definition were not the one in common usage, this would still define my position.
- You imply I am criticizing the Reckoning talent. You once again attempt to redefine terms (shockadin) to make them more vague for no evident purpose. You begin your attempt to make the title of the thread and your initial post more important than the initial topic of discussion - when I've yet to offer any thoughts on Prot PvP in the entire thread (beyond "It's better than Reckadin") and the discussion has centered on what exactly a Reckadin is and why it's an inadequate build. Apparently by not jumping immediately onto your thread derailment, I'm derailing the thread
- By this point I'm /facepalming epicly and am getting blunt and snide as I always do when people insist on repeatedly misrepresenting my position, assigning me beliefs, or erecting strawmen in my name. I haven't criticized Reckoning as a talent, I haven't criticized Prot PvP builds, and words still have meanings no matter how much you try to muddy them.
- Which brings us to your latest missive. Apparently I'm stifling discussion by addressing the assertions you make. Or something. Oh, and I'm supposedly prejudging specs rather than actually understanding why they do and don't work. And you reassert that thread titles are more important than the actual posts.
I give up, this isn't going anywhere, thanks to some fairly closed minded thinking on your part.
Edit: Normally, you're fairly level-headed and open about things, so let me say quickly, this debate isn't personal. But I fail to see why you're taking such a close-minded view of this particular topic, especially in view of the blatant contradiction in what you're saying above.
If insisting that my positions are what they are and not what you'd like to assign them to be so you can easily knock them down, I guess I'm close-minded. Then again, that would just be redefining yet another
term into something else.