Post by s3ar1nox
World of Warcraft: Talent System Proposal
Hello dear players of World of Warcraft.
What I'm going to show you here is my idea regarding the current talent system, which is a combination of the old system and the new one, but first, I'll list the pros and cons of the previous and current talent system.Pre-MoP (Mists of Pandaria)Pros:
- Earning a talent point every level felt more rewarding.
- Players were able to customise their character more than they can today, and while it was fun, it often in not perfoming very well in the PvE (Player versus Environment) field.
- Hybrid character builds.
- Fun and crazy character builds.
- Many people looked up on the internet the build that performed best.
- Most of the talents were passive talents that were necessary to perform well in PvE.
- People who did not use the right set of talents were avoided in the raid environment.
- Rise of what the players call "cookie-cutter" builds.
- Lack of meaningful choices.
- Hard to balance.Let's take a look at the current system now.MoP
- Meaningful choices.
- No more silly damage and heal increasing talents.
- Easier to balance.
- Loss of "cookie-cutter" character builds ( well, sort of).
- The ability to change talents whenever the player wishes.Cons:
- Character customisation limited.
- Some talents perform less well than others.
- Increased number of CC (Crowd control) effects.
- Leveling feels less rewarding.
Now that I've listed the pros and cons of both systems (I hope nothing is missing here), I'll explain my proposal.Talent System Proposal (Visual)
I don't know how to add Excel files here, so here's the screenshot of my proposed talent system, using the Mage class as an example (This is just the first sketch, so expect more updates in the future). It would've been more easier if I could've used a tool like War-Tools.
There are no +dmg/healing talents. Improved Frost Nova increases its radius for example, Pyromaniac increases the player's movement speed after casting a fire AoE(Area of Effect) spell, etc.
It's basically a combination of the two systems or, to be more specific, it's the old system with the current system's philosophy.
What does this do? Well, first of all, it allows the player to customise its character much more than today, but some may ask, how do you differ the various roles? And what about the various masteries and resources?
Well, the only way address this problem is to keep the level 10 specialisation choice.
A Mage, for example, at level 10 (or higher) would be able to choose between the Arcane, Fire and Frost specialisation.
The Fire specialisation, for instance, grants the player the Mastery effect Ignite, and (I'm not really sure about this though) an additional ability (Hot Streak for example, or Combustion).
A Warrior would instead choose between Arms, Fury and Protection. Choosing Protection would grant the player the Mastery effect and Vengeance, which is the passive ability that all tanking classes have.
About the Mage class.....
There are things that, in my opinion, should remain baseline even with this new system:
- Frostfire Bolt.
- Arcane Brilliance.
- Mage Armour, Molten Armour and Frost Armour.
- Time Warp
- Alter Time
- Remove Curse
- Slow Fall
- Conjure Refreshment & Conjure Refreshment Table
- Portals & Teleports
- Conjure Mana Gem
- Burning Soul
You may wonder why I've not put Shatter in the list.
I've removed it because I think that makes PvP(Player versus Player) harder to balance.
This could be done to all of the classes in the game.
I will post more versions of my proposed talent system.
Feel free to comment and/or make suggestions. Feedback is appreciated!(##RESPBREAK##)12##DELIM##Sas148##DELIM##We don't allow threads to be posted on Wowhead that just advertise a blog. You can add it to your signature though, but may not post a thread just to direct people to your blog. Since your blog entry seems as if it could provoke conversation I went ahead and copied it here on your behalf.