Post by Ashelia
Welcome to the Wowhead forums—we're happy to have you here! =)
As a longstanding community, these forums serve as a lively place for our members to participate in Wowhead beyond the database, discussing everything from current World of Warcraft news to offering feedback on our website. As such, these forums have a set of guidelines that needs to be adhered to by its posters.
Do note, however, that this list is by no means complete. Common sense and respect should always be a guiding force behind all of your behavior here. By posting on these forums, you effectively agree to abide by these rules with your responses. Remember that ultimately, your access to these forums is a privilege and an existing administrator or moderator can revoke it at any time. If you have questions about what is acceptable to post and what is not, or would like to discuss a forum related issue, please contact . General Forum Rules
In order to make the forums a better experience for our community, all forums have these following specific rules enforced.
- Vulgar, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate material will be deleted immediately and the user responsible will be punished accordingly. This includes, but is not limited to: sexist, homophobic and racial slurs, harassment, threats of any kind, profanity, and otherwise offensive material. Please note that shaming, bad mouthing, or expressing dislike of a user on our forums falls under harassment and will not be tolerated.
In addition to applying to forum posts, this rule also covers signatures and profiles. An administrator or moderator will remove inappropriate material from either place.
When you want to give feedback to Wowhead staff or volunteers regarding moderation or a personal matter, you should email rather than opening a new thread. However, we understand at times there is need for discussion on the whole so the community can give input. Accordingly, while we strongly encourage you to contact us directly, we do allow certain types of moderation feedback threads to be created in the Feedback Forum
--if opened elsewhere, they will be deleted or locked as necessary. Also note that these types of threads will be watched closely and we reserve the right to lock or delete threads that exist to stir up the pot, cause drama, or further exacerbate a potentially tense situation.
- Asking why a post was locked, a user was banned, or talking about policy in general in a neutral way is allowed--threads of this nature will most likely be locked the minute posters can't keep their cool. Argue objectively and clearly rather than letting emotions get the best of you. If at any time the thread is definitively answered or has outlived its usefulness, a moderator may lock it to indicate the issue has been resolved.
- Targeting a specific Wowhead user, disrupting feedback, or trolling different viewpoints in the feedback thread is not allowed. We are always listening so you do not need to yell to get our attention--attacking or exaggerating will only hurt your point rather than make it.
Spamming and trolling will not be tolerated. Examples of this include: abuse of capslock, excessive or cross posting, quote pyramids, spoiler pyramids, completely useless posts, ASCII, meme replies (e.g. "Cool story bro"), and so on. The only place where this kind of spam is allowed are in the off-topic threads in most forums, such as the Recycle Bin.
For the general health of the community, some URLs are blacklisted and a profanity filter is in place. Do not circumvent filters.
Advertising is not permitted unless you have obtained administrator approval to post. To do this, please contact . This includes surveys or otherwise soliciting a response for either academic or marketing reasons on our forums. However, advertising in signatures by linking a URL is permitted if the website is a personal website--such as a blog, a social networking profile, and/or a guild website that contains PG-13 or lower content and does not violate any of the forum rules.
or License Agreement
will be deleted and the poster will be banned.
You stand a good chance of having your thread locked if it is a rant or direct address to Blizzard. Post those on the official World of Warcraft forums instead. We also ask you think twice before ranting in general--it doesn't foster productive discussion.
The following topics are off-limit, even in the Off-Topic forums: cheating/exploits, piracy, pornography, and illegal activity. Religious or political threads are only allowed on the Off-Topic
forums and will be heavily moderated. Solicitation of our community for support in political matters (i.e. petitions) is not permitted.
Posting in an old thread, or "necro-ing," is a mixed bag. We understand that there's relevant information in a post even several patches later and we don't want you to make duplicate threads on the same topic. However, in the event that the necro doesn't contribute to the community, it will be locked and a warning will be issued. Making a new thread is encouraged if the thread you wish to reply to contains outdated information or is extremely old (e.g. from last year or older).
These forums are English only (with the exception of Guild Recruitment and Wowhead Feedback). This also means you need to keep up a certain standard of grammar and spelling. We know not everyone around here is a native English speaker, but if your post is unreadable it will be locked. Addendum
: the PTR/beta domains are exempt from the English-only provision.
If you feel someone has not followed the forum rules, report them and move on without commenting on their thread. Replying to posts with the aim to antagonize posters who have broken the rules may result in a warning. Similarly, do not abuse the report feature by reporting multiple posts by a single person simply because you dislike/disagree with them or want to earn a Wowhead achievement.Specific Forum Rules
Each individual forum tends to have its own specific set of rules. Here you can find out how to get the most out of each of our different forums.
- WoW General / Classic General
This is a forum for general World of Warcraft discussion dependent on the version selected.
- Posts asking "What class to play," "What race is the best," and other similar discussions have been cropping up a lot lately. In an effort to make our forums more useful for regular users, these types of threads will be locked. There are no best classes, no better factions, and so on--and even if there were, these questions have been answered dozens of times in dozens of threads. If you genuinely are having a hard time picking a class/race/faction, consider asking WoW Help for direction.
- Posts bragging or otherwise offering little room for discussion will be locked on a subjective basis. Your post should always offer something to its reader. For example: talking about how happy you are that you finally killed X boss or received Y item will be most likely be locked; talking about how happy you are that you finally killed X or received Y and then providing strategies, discussion, or further thoughts on the topic will not be locked.
- WoW Help
This forum is for new players to have a positive introduction to both Wowhead and World of Warcraft. Any questions that will result in a definitive answer, either about the game or how to better use our database, should be asked here.
- As this is a forum for new posters or people experiencing problems, trolling is taken more seriously here. Please post constructive replies and try to be helpful here--if you don't like helping new players, simply ignore this area.
- Remember to always use our database before posting. You will frequently find your question is already covered there.
- Class Forums
(Demon Hunter, Monk, Death Knight, Druid, Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock, Warrior)
Class forums are for players of a certain class to come together and discuss their roles, theorycraft, and otherwise talk about the class in question.
- Threads of overall useless and repetitive content or other types of pointless posts about a class will most likely be locked. Posts must stay on topic about the class the forum belongs to as well. If you want to ask about what race is better for the class in question or if one class is better than another, do it in an informative way that promotes discussion.
- Almost every class forum has its own off-topic thread (such as The Abyssal Maw for Warlocks). Rules here will be more relaxed, though extreme profanity and other forms of inappropriate content are still against the rules. Spamming for fun, however, is allowed and even encouraged here. Get to know everyone in a much less moderated environment--in these off-topic threads only!
- Dungeons & Raids
This is a forum for you to discuss PvE content including everything from past and present strategies to the social issues that arise in raiding guilds.
- Please note that most Wowhead database entries have current strategies posted on the boss' page. In many cases, reading them first will negate your need to open a thread. For example, Nefarian has a general strategy guide outlining both normal and heroic strategies underneath his database description. This forum is best for specific questions that promote discussion, such as asking about a particular mechanic of a boss fight and strategies to deal with it; how a specific class or role should function on a fight; how to deal with loot distribution in your guild for certain items; and how to setup and perform legacy raids on your server. These are just examples, not requirements.
- Do not make shaming posts directed at players you've encountered through random groups or guilds. Do not post stories about bad groups or ninja stories, either, as they're rarely actually funny and are generally quite overdone. When in doubt, use your judgment before posting; while you may want to vent about a particularly bad raid, chances are most people don't want to read it. Above all, this forum is not a personal blog.
- If you have a question about PvE content that is only slightly related to an existing thread, please make a new thread instead of an off-topic reply. Shifting topics mid-thread inaccurately reflects the content behind the thread title. Likewise, please do not make multiple posts on the same topic simply to get more attention. Duplicate threads will be locked.
This is a forum for you to discuss PvP content including everything from arena compositions to your favorite battlegrounds.
- In general, stories about how you've been ganked or how classes are imbalanced start flame wars and do not add anything to the forum. If you write a PvP rant, it stands a strong chance of getting locked.
This is a forum for you to talk about everything from mining to archaeology. It's a great place to talk about recipe collections, ways to make profit using your professions, and what perks each profession offers. You can make guides about your favorite profession!
- Please do not make posts about wanting to purchase rare recipes on this forum. You’re better off advertising on your realm forums for patterns.
- UI & Macros
This is a forum for all things related to macros or user interfaces. If you want a special macro to help you out in World of Warcraft or are having a problem with your UI, you'll definitely want to visit here.
- The search feature is your friend for this forum; many macros are popular requests, even if they are old threads, and you can find them with little to no effort by searching.
- Be nice to posters on here! Demanding a macro from the forum or complaining about a broken UI gives players little incentive to help you out. Additionally, make sure you read this thread before you ask about an addon or macro.
- Lore & Roleplaying
This is a forum for lore fanatics and roleplayers alike to participate in the rich lore Azeroth has to offer by either discussing it or actively writing fiction. If you're into RP, you can find ongoing threads with characters created by forum members; if you're into discussing lore, there are also numerous threads dedicated to its dissection.
- Moderation is heavily enforced here and trolling is not tolerated; this is an inclusive space and we welcome posts about all aspects of Azeroth. If you don't like lore and/or roleplaying, be respectful of those that do and stay away.
- Keep it clean! All stories must be PG-13 or lower. Take your R/NC-17 stuff to private chats.
- Guild Recruitment / Classic Guild Recruitment
This is a forum for players to either find a guild/community or look for members to recruit to their current guild/community.
- When posting a guild recruitment thread, please include as much information as possible, specifically answering all questions described in the template (found here). If you want people to join your guild/community, you should show them how professional and awesome you are by at least having the courtesy to specify whether you're Horde or Alliance too!
- You are allowed to bump your guild recruitment thread once every 24 hours. Do not create multiple recruitment threads—instead edit your existing thread with new information. Duplicate threads as well as excessive bumping will lead to moderator action.
- No trolling. This forum will be pretty strictly moderated and is not the place for communicating whines or complaints about other guilds/servers/players. If you have an issue with a guild or one of its players, take it up in-game with their leader.
The same rules on our World of Warcraft-related forums apply here: no spamming, advertising, or flaming.
- Battle Pets
The same rules on our World of Warcraft-related forums apply here: no spamming, advertising, or flaming.
This is a forum for you to get to know your fellow Wowhead users in a relaxed environment. Discussions about anything not related to World of Warcraft go here.
- Moderation is more relaxed here, but extreme profanity and other inappropriate forms of conduct are still grounds for moderator action.
- Introduction threads are not allowed. Spamming is not allowed. Complete randomness is not allowed.
- Forum Games
This is a forum for you to play all sorts of fun games with your fellow Wowhead users.
- This forum is lighthearted and fun, but please look before creating a duplicate thread game. Duplicate threads will be locked.
- Front Page News
This forum contains all the front page news.
- Keep discussions civil and stick to the topic(s) highlighted in the news article.
- 'First' spam and other comments of a similar nature are not allowed and can result in moderator action.
- Wowhead Feedback
This is a forum for you to report any issues you've encountered on our site or discuss features you'd like implemented in Wowhead. From asking us to look into a bug you've found to presenting a new idea we should add to our site, we're listening.
- In addition to posting here, you can also email . While we read your feedback either way, this method is best for questioning moderation policy, discussing personal issues, and other matters better discussed one on one than in public.
- English is the preferred language of our support staff. If unable to post in English we will still do our best to help, even in another language. Please be patient in these situations.
- There are more specific forum rules, including how to submit a bug report, over here.