In the 10-20 level range, a few more zones become accessible. Overall The Barrens
is considered the optimal zone for all Horde races to level in due to its large level range, high quantity of quests, and relative safety (as it is still considered Horde territory). Stonetalon Mountains
is also accessible once players reach level 16-20.Silverpine Forest
is a viable (albeit weaker) alternative to The Barrens
in this level range, although for Undead players it is the closest zone after Tirisfal Glades
. Given that the zeppelin to Durotar
is nearby, The Barrens
can be accessed just as easily.
The Barrens (Horde territory)The Barrens
is a level 10-33 zone in central Kalimdor. Most of the quests will originate from Far Watch Post
, The Crossroads
, and Camp Taurajo
Far Watch PostRatchetThe CrossroadsCamp Taurajo
- Transit: Flight paths are located in The Crossroads, Ratchet, and Camp Taurajo.
- Terrain: The terrain of The Barrens can be described as a savanna plain with some small mountains throughout the zone. Overall, navigating and traversing The Barrens is relatively easy.
- Mob Density: Mobs tend to be spread out, although in some areas the mob density dramatically increases (Thorn Hill, The Forgotten Pools, etc). Avoid traveling past Camp Taurajo until closer to level 20.
- Notable Quest Rewards
Hezrul Bloodmark rewards Bounty Hunter's Ring. Generally this is the first ring that players can obtain.
- Apothecary Zamah rewards Cauldron Stirrer, in addition to a choice of either Elixir of Minor Fortitude, Elixir of Minor Agility, Minor Rejuvenation Potion, Swiftness Potion.
- Samophlange rewards Engineer's Hammer or Welding Shield. Generally this is the first Uncommon shield that players can obtain.
- Cry of the Thunderhawk rewards Gloves of the Moon in addition to a choice of either Cobalt Buckler or Wind Rider Staff.
- Serena Bloodfeather rewards Elegant Shortsword, Harpy Skinner, Zhovur Axe.
- Wailing Caverns (intended for level 18+ players) is located southwest of The Crossroads. The quests for Wailing Caverns are outlined here.
- Razorfen Kraul (intended for level 28+ players) is located in the southern Barrens near the Great Lift. The quests for Razorfen Kraul are outlined here.
- Razorfen Downs (intended for level 36+ players) is located in the southern Barrens near the Great Lift. The quests for Razorfen Downs are outlined here.
: Alliance players are flagged by default in Contested zones, although Horde players are not. It is not common for Alliance players to run Wailing Caverns
, although many PvP encounters tend to occur at the entrances to Stonetalon Mountains
, and Thousand Needles